Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Carbon Monoxide Detectors by Zambezi Plumbing

Carbon monoxide is a silent killer. It has no smell, no taste, and no sound. Neither people nor animals can tell when they are breathing it in, but it can be fatal.

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a by-product of incomplete combustion and is a colourless, odorless, and toxic gas. Common household items, such as gas fires, oil-burning furnaces, hot water units, portable generators, charcoal grills, among others, put people at risk of exposure to this poisonous gas especially in confined spaces like kitchens, garages, bathrooms and lounges. A carbon monoxide monitor is just as important as a smoke detector yet most homes in Australia do not have any fitted.

Carbon monoxide is deadly because it binds with your red blood cells and starves your body of oxygen after passing into your lungs.

These are the early symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning:

  • Headache
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Dizziness
  • Shortness of breath
  • Fatigue

Perhaps most troubling is the similarity to cold or flu-like symptoms that are easy to ignore—shortness of breath, nausea, and mild headaches. Disorientation and unconsciousness can occur when levels of carbon monoxide reach 150 parts per million (ppm).2

This can be prevented by installing a carbon monoxide detector. The best carbon monoxide detectors are affordable, easy to install, and can save your life. We recommend installing one on every level of your home, near each bedroom, and near your garage.

Carbon monoxide detectors sound an alarm when they sense a certain amount of carbon monoxide, once the alarm sounds it is very important to open the windows and leave the area because low doses over long periods can be just as dangerous as sudden exposure to carbon monoxide in ultra-high doses. The carbon monoxide detector will not silence until the environment is carbon monoxide-free.

For advice or help in getting one fitted “Its easy call Zambezi” 08 9361 7665