Zambezi Plumbing and Gas is offering a special on the servicing of gas heaters- $135 ex/GST
The days are beginning to get colder and the mornings and evenings chilly. Very soon you are going to need heating in your home but it’s probably been a while since you last used your gas heater!
We recommend servicing annually to prevent tragic fires and reduce the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning which can cause death. Zambezi Plumbing is licenced to undertake gas servicing, offering a professional and prompt service and at the conclusion we will supply you a copy of the service report.
You should get your heater serviced immediately if you see any of the following:
- there is a yellow or sooty flame (unless it is a decorative gas log fire)
- the pilot light goes out unexpectedly, or ‘pops’ or ‘bangs’ when lighting
- there are signs of heat damage such as discoloration of the walls or heater panels
- the walls become too hot to touch while the heater is on
- there are soot stains around the heater
- every two years (before the winter heating season), or more often if recommended in the appliance manufacturer’s instructions.
How to use a gas heater safely
Always follow the operating instructions on the appliance or in the manual if you have one and:
- Have plenty of ventilation – never seal up doorways, windows or vents. Ventilation is very important as it allows fresh air to come in and fumes to go out.
- Prevent young children and elderly people from touching very hot surfaces. The normal dress guard only protects against accidental clothing contact.
- Be careful when drying clothes inside – keep all flammable materials at least one metre away from the heater.
- use an unflued gas heater in a bathroom, bedroom or caravan. Toxic gases may cause serious health problems in these situations
- use or store solvents, aerosols or pressure pack cans near a gas heater – even if the heater is turned off, the pilot light may still be on
- dispose of rubbish such as tissues, cotton buds or other things in a gas fire – this can affect combustion and produce dangerous pollutants
- use an outdoor appliance inside (this includes barbeques and patio heaters)